Thursday, September 13, 2007

Life On The Cutting Edge

Today I decided to redesign the inside of my equipment trailer. Every few years the efficiency guru hiding inside me comes out for a check-up and today was the day.

The morning started out a bit rough. While unloading the trailer, one of my two-wheel carts locked up. I tugged and tugged and it finally broke free, taking a big hunk of the end of my finger with it. This would have probably been a good time to consider the fact that I make my living playing the piano and working on the computer, both of which are fairly finger intensive activities. Nope, that never crossed my mind. I washed off the blood, stuck most of the flap of skin back where I think it was originally, slapped some tape on it and off I went! (Before you freak out on me, it wasn't really that serious an injury and I'm sure it will heal fine in a few days... I hope.)

I decided some shelves would add a nice touch along one wall, which meant only one thing... I got to use my POWER TOOLS!!!!! Most of the tools I have once belonged to my father. Dad was also an efficiency buff and knew all those safety guards just slow you down, so he took them off. It's pretty cool - big, sharp saw blades spinning right out in the open like a James Bond finale. It's easy to see what you're doing, because there's nothing between you and impending injury but sawdust-filled air. You must pay close attention or it's bye-bye gloves, hello mittens.

As I sit here at my desk at the end of the day, I think back on all the boards I pushed through the table saw, by hand of course. (No further injuries, praise the Lord!) I just realized something - I'm not very smart. Anyone who does what I do should be a little more protective of his phalanges (that's finger bones in case you were wondering). Why does that seem so clear to me now that I'm finished? Maybe I should blog BEFORE I build. There's an interesting idea...

No comments: