Friday, September 7, 2007

Are You a Chip or a Dip?

This morning I went for a walk with the famous bible teacher J. Vernon McGee. He wasn't actually there, since he passed away in 1988, but he did share his thoughts courtesy of my mp3 player. JV said something that really stuck in my head. He was talking about Matthew 5 when Jesus called us to be "salt of the earth." He added, "salt is supposed to make you thirsty." What a great thought! Our job is not to meet everybody's needs. Our job is to make them thirsty for Jesus, the "living water," who is the only one that can meet all their needs.

My favorite salty food is chips. Any kind, any flavor, any time of the day. I especially love Mexican restaurants where you get a big bowl of chips the moment you sit down. You can't help but dig in. That's what I want my life to be - a big bowl of tortilla chips. You may prefer to be more of a pretzel, Frito or even the ever popular cheese puff. It doesn't matter, we're all appetizers and Jesus is the meal. Yummy!

1 comment:

Jello said...

I'm a chip AND a dip! Particularly, I like Pringles reduced fat (less guilt) and Roberts French Onion. It's kind of like the analogy of a diet coke to go with that hamburger and ice cream cone (huh?). The Lord knows I can do better, so now I substitute any chips with carrots and celery so I can enjoy the crunch factor, combining it with the dip.

Confused?

The executive summary is this - if it has to be salty, get the flavored chips and be done with it!

God will bless us all anyway...now where's the chips?