Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Keepin' It Between The Lines

I have a new book to read. Before bed tonight, my oldest daughter brought me the 14th and final book in the "Remnants" series. This is a sci-fi book about a small band of survivors after a huge meteor has destroyed the earth. Bummer. For the last year and a half, we have been reading these books together. It became kind of a friendly competition to see who would finish the next one first. Many times she has gotten frustrated with me, because I'm a faster reader and would pull into the lead. For this final book, I was the gracious dad and promised not to start until my daughter finished. Reading a story big enough to fill 14 books is quite an accomplishment, and I didn't want to ruin it for her.

The best part is, these books have been another way for us to connect. My reading shows her that I am interested in her world. Better yet, it gives us something to talk about that is just between us. Nobody else has a clue who Jobs and MoSteel are and who will be next to go worm. It is our own special world, as big as our imagination, but small enough to be cozy for two.

It's not really the words we read that are important. The important ones are not in print at all. I hope my sweetheart looks close enough to see the real message. For you see, there is an "I love you" between each line.

No comments: