Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Did Ya Hear The One About...

My seventh grader cornered me last night with an interesting question - "Dad, I need a joke for school tomorrow."

Apparently her assignment in Speech and Drama class was to tell a joke to the class. Wow, this is my kind of homework! At least a dozen jokes instantly flooded my brain. Now it was time for some filtering. It needs to be appropriate, clean and something a seventh grader would understand. First I knocked out all the religious jokes so no one would be offended and that would not be appropriate. Next I considered the jokes pastors share with me, but I couldn't think of any clean ones. I also dismissed anything relating to body parts or bodily functions. I was starting to worry, my list was getting pretty short. Finally we settled on this one.

-----
Two guys were talking about their favorite restaurants. The first guy says, "Oh, I'm so bad with names. It's a flower... comes in bunches... has thorns..."

"You mean a rose?"

"Yeah, that's it. Hey Rose, what was the name of that restaurant we ate at last night?"
-----

My daughter practiced, got all the inflections just perfect and shared it with the class today.

They didn't get it. And these are the leaders of tomorrow? I'm scared.

No comments: