Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Shoes, Restrooms and Uncomfortable Moments

We had a great weekend with concerts at three new churches where we hadn't been before. We always love to meet new friends and met a bunch. Best of all, we were invited back to all three churches!!

On the way home Sunday night, we stopped at a gas station for some iced tea and a bathroom break. (I'll try not to give too much info here, but you need to picture the scene.) I buzzed into the room of rest where there were two sit downs and two stand ups. I was standing there doing my business when suddenly I heard this voice from the stall next to me say, "What kind of shoes are those?" Apparently my next door potty neighbor could see my feet from under the dividing wall.

OK folks, I think we all know that talking in the restroom is uncomfortable at best, and conversation with an unseen stranger doing "serious" business is just unheard of. What was I to do?

To be polite, I answered, "I don't know, I got them on the internet."

"They just slip on, that's pretty cool."

Oh no, now we are actually having a conversation - and I can hear the sounds of him doing his business in there. Gross.

"Yeah, I think life should be as easy as possible."

"That's good, especially since tomorrow's Monday."

Oh man, he's changed to a whole new subject. By now I'm rushing to wash my hands and make my escape, But it's my turn to talk and I can't just leave without saying something, that would be rude.

"Have a good evening."

I think he answered, but I was out the door as quick as possible. I passed another fellow going in as I was coming out and thought, "Good luck, buddy. Hope you like to chat."

I love people and love to visit with them, but if you are a guy and ever see a pair of white slip-on tennis shoes from under a bathroom divider wall, just store up those thoughts and send me an e-mail.

1 comment:

paulyw said...

HAHAHAHA Too funny!! I've had people talk to me too, from the "other side!" (of the stall, that is), LOL

Okay Phil, TMI as my son would tell me! LOL LOL