Thursday, September 25, 2008

Revelation

Last night at men's bible study I had one of those a-ha moments, a revelation. We are studying about "respectable sins," and how in God's eyes sin is sin, no matter the size. We discussed the way that sin is rarely mentioned in the world today. I brought up that the same thing has happened in the church. We used to sing hymns that were filled with references to sin and human depravity. We sang our praise of how great God is in response to admitting our base humanity and need for a savior. Now we sing a lot of songs about how great God is with no mention of us. Look at the middle verse of the classic hymn, "It Is Well With My Soul" -

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


Now that's something to get excited about! Remember, grace isn't all that amazing unless you understand that a "wretch like me" is unworthy to receive it. I can't just point a finger at the church, I used to write a bunch of songs on this topic, but I haven't been lately. I think the general trend of society has rubbed off on me and I didn't even realize it.

But no more! I know what I must do. It's time to write more songs about sinning! (OK, that doesn't sound quite right, but you know what I mean.)

1 comment:

Mrs. G-man said...

AMEN, Phil! I agree with you wholeheartedly! I love that song, "It is Well With My Soul"!
:-) Thanks for the blog!