Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Refried Romance

Pam and I took my mom out to lunch for her 74th birthday yesterday (Yeah, mumsie!). We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant. While there I noticed a sign advertising a wonderful Italian dinner for Valentine's Day. Italian food at a Mexican place? Is Mexican less romantic than Italian? I think some of our amigos south of the border would disagree.

I gave this question a lot of thought and finally came up with a possible answer. Many Mexican dishes included refried beans and beans do have their own peculiar digestive traits. It is true that the expulsion of noxious gases can taint a romantic atmosphere, not to mention the fire hazard if there are lit candles present.

I suppose on the other hand, pasta is high in carbs and should give you a lot of energy. If that is the case, how come every time I eat Italian, I feel fat, bloated and want to take a nap? And is there any toothpaste that will kill the smell of garlic on your breath?

My best suggestion for a romantic meal would be some variety of fish (unless you are allergic, of course, in which case the response can range from dangerous to down-right funny depending on how you react). I prefer baked for quiet digestion with a light bowl of soup on the side and a wafer-thin mint as a finishing touch.

Even with this meal, there is no guarantee that you won't do or say something totally stupid, thus negating any positive effect from your culinary discernment. Maybe it's better to just grab a couple of bean burritos and a coke and hope for the best!

No comments: