Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Kinder, Gentler Me

WARNING: The following is intended to be humorous, not sarcastic, bitter, vindictive, or the rantings of a frustrated author. If you are offended by anything that follows, well, that kind of proves my point.

I just got a rejection e-mail. I had a devotion up to be included in a new "Chicken Soup" type book by a major publisher. They loved my story but thought some readers might be offended by my "toilet" theme. My feelings weren't hurt and I think they made the right call. The thought of a Christian having to deal with a clogged toilet is about as bad as the Pope pooping (although I'm pretty sure he does or he would have gained a lot of weight by now.) My goal has never been to degrade God. My God is HUGE and I've tried to show how He is involved in all of my life, not just my Sunday mornings from ten to twelve. I'm no great theologian, but if I can make you laugh and think about God in your life, I'm satisfied.

With all this said, I do understand the need to reach a larger audience, so I've decided to change my style. From here on I'll be Phil for the masses. Here's my first attempt...

As the gentle spring breeze blows through the poppies in bloom, so the Holy Spirit brings refreshment to my parched soul.

On second thought... NOT! I'm just me, and that's who I'll be. (Hey, that rhymes!!)

Gotta run. If you need me, I'll be in the bathroom with my Bible word search book.

No comments: