Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Crap-o-meter

Our family was watching a movie the other night that started throwing in some touchy-feelie new age ideas. All of a sudden my daughters chimed in, "but that's not right." I was so proud!! They are noticing when something just doesn't ring true. I explained to them how the Holy Spirit gives us spiritual discernment. In order to make it understandable for children, this is what I came up with...

God puts a crap-o-meter inside us. When it starts going off, you know that what you are looking at or hearing is just that, crap. It does not go along with God's way and truth. It can come from the world and unfortunately, sometimes it can come from the pulpit. Be aware and pay attention when the alarm goes off.

That about sums up my highbrow intellectual theology - don't ignore your crap-o-meter. That will probably never make the seminary subject list, but it has saved me from bad stuff more times than I can count.

No comments: