Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Variety is the Life of Spice

I was reading back through my rantings from yesterday. Boy, could you tell I had a bad day or what? Actually, I don't disagree with anything I wrote, except I noticed it might appear I didn't like the new "Little Big Town" CD. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I think the boys and girls knocked it out of the park this time. Great harmony, fresh arrangements, cool instrumentation (a little slide guitar thrown in just for me??). This is a great project!!

One thing I particularly liked on this CD was the variety. Take note Christian and mainstream music world, not every song sounded just the same! There were also dynamics!! Sometimes it didn't sound like everyone was playing full bore with the compressor cranked to 10. When I finished listening I didn't feel exhausted or assaulted. I actually wanted to listen again!!! I'm not sure how radio will take to this effort, but there should be some good singles on there. Besides, why should every song on an album sound like a radio single? Sure, with iTunes and single song purchasing power of today, there is no room for the old school approach of a few good songs and the rest filler. Now each song must stand on it's own, but does that mean each song must sound alike? I don't think so. Some of my favorite songs over the years have been album cuts that were never played on the radio.

These are just my opinions, but hey, this is my blog. It's OK if you don't agree with me, you have every right to be wrong. ;-)

No comments: