Friday, January 16, 2009

Why Pianists Should Avoid Sharp Objects

I know better. In fact, I've told my kids numerous times. Cutting rule #1: When using a knife always cut AWAY from yourself.

One night last week I was rehanging the doors we had painted in the basement. A little extra paint on the door frames was enough to keep the hinges from fitting completely in their designated spots. No problem, I'll just use my utility knife to cut away the excess. Dried paint where you don't want it is tough stuff, so I was having to put quite a bit of muscle into carving out the openings. Sometime in this process, I forgot cutting rule #1. Sure enough, my knife slipped off the frame and went directly into the pointer finger of my left hand. Big ouchy.

I cleaned out the cut and taped everything tightly back in place. No more bleeding, but there was a good bit of throbbing. I found that felt better if I held my hand over my head. Pam tried to be sympathetic, but she still chuckled as I walked by in my Statue of Liberty pose.

On a final medical note. If you happen to accidently make an incision in an appendage and the skin is gaping pretty wide, super-glue really does work! Just don't try to type until it is completely dry. That's another story.

No comments: