Sunday, January 18, 2009

Read ALL The Directions

Ok, I'm a man. That should be enough explanation for what follows.

I decided to hang a ceiling fan in our new downstairs guest bedroom. If you've never installed one of these, it sounds like a simple job. It's just a motor with blades hanging from the ceiling, right? Dream on. I opened the box and was immediately confronted with a surprising number of unassembled parts and a 40 page manual. On the first page of the booklet were the words "READ ENTIRE MANUAL BEFORE BEGINNING INSTALLATION." Who do they think they are talking to? I'm a guy. I don't want to read, I want to build something. Is the fact they used all capital letters supposed to make me pay more attention? Nice try, bub.

I waded thru the first few pages, attaching hub A thru cover B and cover ring C to shaft D with screws E,F & G, while holding bracket H out of the way and removing and then replacing set screw J. A few more pictures with big arrows would have been helpful, but things were coming along nicely. This is until page 8 where it said, "If installing on a ceiling lower than 8 ft, skip sections 3 thru 6 on page 4." Two problems here, my ceiling is lower than 8 ft and sections 3 thru 6 included screwing together the pieces with the special coating so they won't come apart while the fan is spinning. Rest assured friends, there is NO chance of this baby coming apart, now or at any time in the future.

So, the fan is up and running, though not at the recommended low ceiling height. I think I'll put some yellow and black caution tape on the blades so my taller friends won't get whacked in the head. Oh, and we have a new house rule - no hats in the basement. It's for your own safety.

No comments: