Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Jose and the Flames of Death

Last night Pam noticed our house was chilly and sent me downstairs to check on the furnace. With a quick examination, I could see something was wrong. I called the furnace company, described the situation and the repairman told me how to fix it. In mere minutes, everything was fine and working again. Sometimes, things go smoothly. Other times...

On my mom's moving day last month we noticed there was no hot water. I went out to the garage and read the instructions on how to light the water heater's pilot light. First was the warning in big letters. DO NOT REMOVE INNER PANEL. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LIGHT BY HAND. Below I was told to hold the gas button and push the ignitor button. The trouble was, I could only find one button. I called the real estate agent and he said he'd send someone over to help us out.

Soon, a young man arrived at the door. When confronted with the defunct heater, the first thing he did was remove the inner panel and stick his hand (with cigarette lighter) inside the hole. Little alarms bells went off in my head. At this point I discovered he knew a little less english than I know spanish. There was no stopping him now. Pam and I watch in suspense from far across the room (as if we'd be less dead there if the whole thing blew up).

Apparently, it was not time to meet our maker. I did learn that even if you're not supposed to, you can light a modern water heater by hand. I'm not planning on ever trying that, but it makes an interesting conversation starter.

We're alive, the water is hot, and my mom is moved. God is Good!!

No comments: