Thursday, July 31, 2008

Breaking Up Is (Apparently Not So) Hard To Do

I was reading an article in a Southern Gospel magazine today about the mother of a popular family group that is no longer singing together. It was one of those "Where are they now?" pieces and I read it aloud to my family. The article said that since the group had retired, she had remarried and was doing fine. Upon hearing this, my daughter asked, "Dad, does that mean if you and mom retire from singing you have to get divorced?"

"Apparently so, sweetheart." I replied.

"Well, your new album is more contemporary, so maybe you could squeak by and stay married."

-----

You know, I intended this to be funny, but it is just sad. Christian singers aren't perfect by any means, but it strikes me that the divorce rate among people in the ministry is much too high. I know Satan comes down hard on anyone trying to make a difference for God, but I just can't believe that God is honored if our time representing Him causes our families to fall apart.

This is my personal plea to fellow Christians in all walks of life. Take time to nurture your relationships - first with God and then with your spouse and kids.

With that said, I'm wrapping this up so I can practice what I preach. "Get ready family, hugs coming your way!"

No comments: