Friday, May 2, 2008

Writing on Writing

While in the studio recently I stumbled on a great songwriting book called "Writing Better Lyrics." When I got back home, I surfed the internet to find a copy. While searching, I found many recommendations for another book called "Tunesmith" by Jimmy Webb. I found both books reasonably priced at Overstock.com so I slapped down my credit card and made the purchase. (Speaking of which, I miss those old credit card imprint machines. Remember when the cashier would put your card in the slot with a 3-part receipt and CHA-CHING with the big heavy roller. That really felt like you were purchasing something. Now it's just type in your numbers and hit the button. Of course, I've even heard some folks talk about using dollar bills and coins, but that was before my time.)

Now where was I? Oh yeah, the books. I had heard so much about the Jimmy Webb book, when they arrived I started with that one. I'm two chapters/35 pages into it, and so far all he has done is gripe about a variety of subjects. It looks like the good stuff is about to begin. I'll let you know my opinion when I finish.

I'm thinking about writing my own book on the subject. I think I'll call it, "How To Write Songs They'll Never Play On The Radio." Now there's a topic where I could use my vast experience.

No comments: